Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Osho visits New Jersey and the Commune in Oregon

1 June 1981, Osho arrives at Kennedy Airport, in the United States of America.

The day I entered America, the first question the immigration department asked me was: "Are you an anarchist?" I had been told beforehand that anarchists are not allowed in America.

I told the man, "I am something more."

He said, "My God, for something more there is no regulation." He had his book open: communists, anarchists are not allowed...but something more...?

He looked at me and he said, "You look like something more, but you will be in trouble and you will create trouble for us."

I said, "I am a silent man. I don't even leave my room."

He said, "That is the danger, but because in the rules there is no provision for preventing something more than the anarchist, I have to allow you."

And from that very moment the struggle began that lasted for five years. orig01

Osho stays in a converted 'castle' in Montclair, New Jersey. Sheela, now Osho's secretary, purchases a large ranch in central Oregon, and sets up a commune there. On 29th August Osho visits the commune and remains there for the next four years.

I had not come to America with the intention to stay here. First, we had purchased a very beautiful castle, one hundred year old, in New Jersey. Montclair. It was a beautiful castle and somebody who had made it was himself a very creative architect. We made it completely new, renovated it totally. It became really a beautiful palace. But it was going to be just for the time being before we can find a place--because New Jersey was not the right place, it was humid, very humid. It was beautiful, it is really a garden state--the whole state is a garden--so I loved it, but my allergy was giving trouble. Then the ranch in Oregon was found, and this suited me. Just as I entered here I felt a great relief, as if my heart and my lungs, both felt a burden removed. And for these four years, I have not had a single attack, otherwise it was almost three, four times per week. That means three, four nights per week sleep was impossible--just coughing, sneezing--and the pain with the neck, with the back was there, and this diabetes was there, so.... last317

When my secretary Sheela was searching for a place for me, I said that, "Not California. Anywhere is okay but not California, because all the idiotic Indian gurus who don't have any hold in India, who don't have any intelligence--I don't want to get mixed up with that lot."

I have chosen Oregon because this poor state has not known a single enlightened man in the whole of history. last224

Had you ever thought that we were going to land up in Oregon, in America? I don't think anybody, howsoever dreaming and imaginary and hallucinatory, had thought of Oregon. But we landed here. unconc28

Later Osho is asked: What was Your impression when You first came and saw the land here?

I did not like it, because I have always liked greenery and this was a desert, so I was not impressed. I told my people that they have to change this place into an oasis... last113

Osho stays in a new Lao Tzu House, set in its own private valley. Vivek and personal attendants, who came with him from Poona, take care of him.

Do you prefer here to Poona?

No. For me it makes no difference: wherever I am, I never go out. Rajneeshpuram* may be in the Soviet Union, or in America or in India. It does not matter to me, I don't know who is living outside. last113

*Note: one valley area is incorporated as the city of Rajneeshpuram to comply with land-use regulations in constructing residences and utilities

Sheela lives in the commune centre two miles away. She visits Osho in the evening to ask questions and take any messages.

I was in silence and in isolation, and my instruction was that only Sheela will come every evening for one hour; that too only when she has urgent work that she cannot handle. And she should inform me only of things which are absolutely necessary and have to be told. So for three and a half years I was completely out of the world: not a single newspaper, no book, no television, no radio, no information about what is going on, what is not going on. last229

Osho chooses a new symbol for his movement, of two birds flying together.

I have chosen the symbol for the seekers who have gathered around me of two birds. One is the Master, the other is the disciple. Both are the same kind of bird. Both have the same wings. Just seeing the Master fly, immediately the disciple gets the idea, "I have also got the same wings which I have not been using." He tries. Maybe once or twice he may fall. Maybe once and twice he may get discouraged. But even if he starts fluttering, that gives him the first glimpse that what is today just fluttering, tomorrow can become flying. It needs just a little discipline, a little more training, a little more time. And to come to this point, you are already beyond fear.

From iosho

No comments:

Post a Comment